Share Administration

Shareholder Services - Share Administration

How do I buy and sell shares?

This is usually done through a stockbroker, bank, building society or "share shop". They all offer a similar service although the commissions they charge will vary.

If you would like a list of stockbrokers, write to the Wealth Management Association, 22 City Road, Finsbury Square, London EC1Y 2AJ or

If you buy shares after the ex-dividend date, you will not be entitled to the dividend. If you have recently sold your shares and receive a dividend which you are not sure you are entitled to, contact the agent who acted for you in the sale.

Always keep the contract notes which are sent to you by the agent who buys or sells shares for you. If you sell any of your Pennon Group shares you may become liable to capital gains tax.

Neither Pennon Group nor the Registrar are able to offer financial advice or to confirm the price at which you bought or sold shares.

How can I find out the price of Pennon Group shares?

Regularly updated prices can be found on:

Pennon Group website
London Stock Exchange website

Prices are also published in most daily newspapers.

What is the share dealing service?

The low-cost telephone share dealing service offered by Stocktrade enables investors to buy and sell shares in Pennon Group on a low-cost basis.

For further details of this service, contact:

Sixth Floor, Atria One
144 Morrison Street
Edinburgh EH3 8BR.

Tel: +44 (0) 131 240 0414

Please quote: Pennon Group Dial & Deal Service

What is CREST?

CREST is an electronic system for settling the sale and purchase of shares.

Membership is voluntary and is typically used by institutions, and by individual investors who have a large share portfolio or who buy and sell shares frequently. CREST enables shareholders to hold and transfer their shareholdings in electronic form rather than using paper. For further information on CREST please write to:

Euroclear UK & Ireland,
33 Cannon Street,
London EC4M 5SB.

How do I transfer shares?

If a buyer and seller of shares agree, they can transfer shares "off market" by using a stock transfer form, rather than going to a bank or stockbroker. The Registrar can advise you on the procedure and can provide the appropriate forms.

Send the completed form and the share certificates to the Registrar. This method of transferring shares is commonly used when no stamp duty is payable, for example when shares are gifted to relatives or charities on the distribution of an estate.

If stamp duty is payable, send the completed transfer form to an Inland Revenue Stamp Office. The duty must be paid before the form can be forwarded to the Registrar to make the transfer. Stamp duty is currently 0.5% of the value of the transfer, if over £1,000, rounded to the nearest £5.

If the transfer of your shares is not received by the Registrar until after the record date, you will still receive a dividend payment.

If you move house

Please write to the Registrar, giving your old and new addresses and, if possible, your Pennon Group account number. If we do not have a current address for you and your dividends are normally sent to you by cheque, they will be kept in a special account until you claim them. Unclaimed dividends accumulate, but do not earn interest and, after 12 years, you may no longer be entitled to claim them. It is a good idea to ensure that your family and other dependants also keep a record of the shares you own.

If your bank details change

If your dividends are paid direct to your bank or building society account, inform the Registrar of any changes to your account as soon as possible. To do this, complete a dividend mandate form. There is usually one attached to the tax voucher you are sent with each dividend payment or you can ask the Registrar to send you one.

If you change your name

Please write to the Registrar if you change your name for any reason and enclose a copy of your marriage certificate or other relevant legal document.

If a shareholder dies

We cannot transfer shares until we have received the information to enable us to change the register.

If, however, the estate in the deceased's sole name is below certain limits, the death can be registered through our small estates procedure. This is less expensive. Ask the Registrar for the current limits and the procedure.

If the shares were held in joint names, send the Registrar a copy of the death certificate and they will remove the deceased's name from the register. The shares will be registered in the name of the surviving holder(s) and the relevant share certificates will be amended.

What are share certificates?

They are proof that you own the shares, show how many shares you have bought in the company, and should be kept in a safe place. Unless you opt to hold your shares in electronic form (through a CREST account or through a nominee), a certificate is sent to you when you have bought your shares. When you first buy shares in Pennon Group, you are given an account number, which is shown in the top left-hand corner of the certificate. This should be quoted on all share-related correspondence with us.

Share certificates are posted to shareholders at their own risk. We recommend that you keep a record of your account and certificate numbers and of the number of shares each certificate represents.

What happens if I lose my share certificate?

Contact the Registrars, Capita Asset Services, by telephoning 0871 664 9234 (UK)* or +44 800 141 2951 (from outside the UK) and quoting your Investor Code which can be found on your enclosed Form of Proxy. Lines are open 8:30am – 5:30pm Monday – Friday.

*(calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras) or email

Certificate consolidation

If you have more than one Pennon Group share certificate, you can ask for them to be consolidated. Send them, together with a covering letter, to the Registrar and you will be issued a single share certificate, free of charge if you are a private shareholder, which shows all the shares you own. Keep a record of the information shown on the counterfoils of all share certificates because this may be needed for capital gains tax purposes.

Any further questions

Please contact the Registrar:

Capita Asset Services
Pennon Group Share Register
The Registry
34 Beckenham Road


Telephone: 0871 664 9234 (UK)* or +44 800 141 2951 (from outside the UK)

*(calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras)

Check your account

You can find up-to-date information on your Pennon Group shareholding via the share portal service provided by our Registrars. To register, simply go to and select 'Account Registration' and then follow the on-screen instructions by inputting your surname and your Investor Code. You will also need to input your postcode as well as entering an e-mail address and selecting a password. Some facilities will require an activation code which will be sent to you in the post following registration.