Pennon is one of the largest environmental and resource management groups in the UK. Sustainability is at the heart of our business. The provision of high quality water and waste management services is fundamental to the well-being and sustainability of our society. Ensuring the availability of plentiful clean water which is used wisely and not wasted, together with effective waste water treatment, is South West Water’s business. Transforming waste into a resource by recycling and generating renewable energy is Viridor’s business.
Sustainability Committee (formerly Corporate Responsibility Committee)
The Pennon Sustainability Committee (previously Corporate Responsibility Committee) is chaired by a Non-executive Director and comprises the Chief Executives of South West Water and Viridor plus two further Non-executive Directors. It is served and attended by senior management from both subsidiaries. The Committee oversees the Pennon Group’s requirement to conduct its business in a responsible manner. Consequently the Committee reviews the strategies, policies, management, initiatives, objectives, targets and performance of the Pennon Group of companies in respect of environmental, social and governance aspects. During 2011/12 the Committee developed a new community relations and investment policy, scrutinised both companies’ approach to carbon management, examined sustainability in supply chains, and maintained its focus on improving health and safety.
Both subsidiaries develop annual sustainability targets as part of business planning and budgeting, putting sustainability at the core of the business. Performance against these targets is reviewed quarterly at executive management meetings, and by the Pennon Group Sustainability Committee.
Delivery of sustainability targets forms part of the remuneration package of Pennon’s senior executives and employees throughout the Group.
Our commitment to economic, social and environmental sustainability is embedded in the following sustainability objectives, to which the targets of South West Water and Viridor are aligned. Our strategic objectives are to:
- manage Pennon Group as a sustainable and successful business for the benefit of shareholders and other stakeholders
- aim to ensure that all our business activities have a positive economic, social and environmental impact on the communities in which we operate
- engage with all our stakeholders and foster good relationships with them
- strive for the highest standards of health and safety in the workplace so as to minimise accidents, incidents and lost time
- develop and motivate our employees, treat them fairly and ensure that they are fully engaged in all aspects of the Pennon Group's objectives
- aspire to leadership in minimising emissions that contribute to climate change and develop climate change adaptation strategies
- aspire to leadership in all aspects of waste prevention and resource efficiency.