Pennon is one of the largest environmental and resource management groups in the UK. Sustainability is at the heart of our business.
Sustainability is an integral part of Pennon’s strategy. Our investment and our commitment to high levels of service and performance will contribute to society’s needs – for water, energy and resource management – being met in the long term.
Ensuring the availability of plentiful clean water which is used wisely and not wasted, together with effective waste water treatment, is South West Water’s business. Transforming waste into a resource by recycling and generating renewable energy is Viridor’s business.
The Sustainability Committee comprises four Non-executive Directors (of whom one is the chairman) and the Chief Executives of South West Water and Viridor. The Committee’s duties relate to areas including occupational health and safety and security, environment, workplace policies, responsible and ethical business practice, customer service and engagement and the role of the Group in society.
Both subsidiaries develop annual sustainability targets as part of business planning and budgeting, putting sustainability at the core of the business. Performance against these targets is reviewed regularly by the Committee and by the South West Water sustainability committee and Viridor board as appropriate.
Delivery of sustainability targets forms part of the remuneration package of Pennon’s senior executives and employees throughout the Group.
Our commitment to economic, social and environmental sustainability is embedded in the following sustainability objectives, to which the targets of South West Water and Viridor are aligned. Our strategic objectives are to:
- manage Pennon Group as a sustainable and successful business for the benefit of shareholders and other stakeholders
- aim to ensure that all our business activities have a positive economic, social and environmental impact on the communities in which we operate
- engage with all our stakeholders and foster good relationships with them
- strive for the highest standards of health and safety in the workplace so as to minimise accidents, incidents and lost time
- develop and motivate our employees, treat them fairly and ensure that they are fully engaged in all aspects of the Pennon Group's objectives
- aspire to leadership in minimising emissions that contribute to climate change and develop climate change adaptation strategies
- aspire to leadership in all aspects of waste prevention and resource efficiency.